Thursday, August 03, 2006

The onset of disappointment

It is the last day of the 1973 summer term and in a few hours I shall walk out of St Michael's Junior School, Helston, Cornwall, for the final time. I have all my bits in a big floppy check bag with a drawcord at one end. One of the possessions is my Leaver's Report. My teacher has written several pages, in Biro as I recall, detailing progress in English, maths, history, French etc. The last page is a note from the headmaster, Mr Hughes. Thinking about it now causes me pain. Whereas the teacher jotted down a few sentences on each subject pertinent to the individual child, his contribution is a printed slip smeared with generalities. "A fine lad" and so on. My first brush with platitudes.

1 comment:

dgnyhk said...

I suppose it's good to start getting used to it early. Life's full of 'em.