We mooched around the market in St Ives, where Cow and Hare Passage still has its padlocked gate despite all that kerfuffle in the local paper. Found a most attractive building which I had either forgotten or not noticed before - the Paticular Baptist chapel. What the hell are Particular Baptists: the Jesuits of non-conformity, I'm guessing? Anyway, I was so taken aback that I forgot to photograph the sign ("Call yourself a master of reportage, lad? You couldn't scoop bloody ice-cream"). (Picture to follow).
Continuing the religious theme, a trip to Ramsey, a lesser known Fenland town, to see the abbey gatehouse (pic from National Trust). It was closed on account of being part of a school which was itself closed. The main street in Ramsey is called Great Whyte and had a lot of bunting out. It was the only colour to be seen on an other deliciously drab day when the hues of peat, clay, a few weeds, washed out skies and faded, scorched stubble merged. If melancholy had a colour other than blue, this would be it - a sort of dirty dishcloth. Very dirty.But a surreal moment during a stroll in the evening gloom with L and The B. We were about the cross the town bridge and I thought I could hear the swish of oars. Swans moving fast and shaking their tail feathers on black, still, glassy water. A coxed eight shot by with a bicycle lamp on their bow. They're very keen on rowing around here.
2 comments:
I love that word - particular. I'd always heard it as to mean "odd" or "strange" or occasionally "specific". It was only a few years ago that I was reading something and the character referred to someone (I believe it was Jack Aubrey talking about the Doc) as his "particular" friend. I thought it an awfully rude way to introduce one's best mate.
'Particular Baptists' I will have to look them up.
Where I used to live, in Stanford le Hope, I seem to remember that there was at one time a sect called the 'Peculiar People'.
Post a Comment